As you all know I have anxiety and I’m going to dedicate this post to writing about what I hate most about it. Maybe some of you will be able to understand how I feel and relate to it too.
- It stops me from doing the things I want to do: I suppose this is the main one for anyone who suffers from anxiety, well it certainly is for me anyway. There’s been party invites I’ve turned down, days out, etc. There’s opportunities I sincerly wished I hadn’t turned down. But I suppose that’s the good thing about hindsight; I can look back and realise what I want to do differently in the future.
- I often have panic attacks or get really anxious in public: I really hate this and it makes me more self concious thus increasing my anxiety levels. I really don’t like when people see me anxious or panicked. There’s something about it that just makes me think that they won’t see me in the same way as before especially if it’s around people I know. It’s as if I don’t want to let my guard down so people will see the best version of me.
- It stops me from doing my best: this mainly happens in exams which really makes me anxious. I’ve had countless numbers of panic attacks and horribly anxious times during exams. It can make my mind go blank and forget half of not all the information I spent time learning off. It can also make me spend a large amount of time trying to calm myself down rather than actually giving the test my best shot.
- It takes the enjoyment out of things that are meant to be fun: like going out with friends, going for a run, even having dinner in a restaurant. If I’m constantly anxious and focusing my attention on calming myself down it’s very difficult to live in the moment and actually enjoy what I’m doing.
- It lowers my self esteem:Being anxious can make me feel really ashamed of myself and the fact that I have anxiety. I sometimes don’t want to accept that side of me. It makes me more self concious and makes me think less of myself. It also increases my self doubt and constant worry about little things.
So there you go! The top 5 things that really annoy me about my anxiety. Have any of you got particular things about your anxiety that frustrates you too?
I’m really am working on trying to accept these 5 things and the anxiety itself to be able to deal with it better and try and improve my mental health.
Please remember that you are not alone in feeling anxious. I read an article recently that said one in four people suffer from anxiety.